Mission and Goals
Mission and goals of the BIDMC dietetic internship program
The mission of the Dietetic Internship is to recruit the best intern applicants for the internship and provide them with experiences that help them meet the core competencies required to become qualified dietitians, and to instill in them the importance of excellent patient care, individual accountability, and involvement in the community. We recognize the need for future registered dietitians in the Boston community and the United States, and actively support the mission of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics as being "...the advocate of the dietetic profession serving the public through promotion of optimal nutrition, health and well being.''
Goals and Outcome Measures for the BIDMC Dietetic Internship are below. They are used to measure our program's effectiveness.
Goal #1: Train graduates to practice competently in entry level dietetics:
- Alumni of BIDMC's program will achieve a first year pass rate of at least 80% on the RD exam, over a 5 year period.
- At least 80% of employers of our graduates, responding to the employer survey, will indicate that the intern was adequately prepared for the position they obtained.
- Over a 5 year period, at least 70% of DI graduates who sought employment in dietetics will be employed within twelve months of program completion.
- At least 80% of interns enrolled in the DI program complete all program requirements within 150% (63 weeks/15 months) of the time planned for completion.
Goal #2: Continually improve the quality and diversity of intern applicant pool, in order to select and graduate successful practitioners.
- At least 30% of DI graduates will be from non-New England states/countries over a 5 year period.
- At least 13% of DI graduates will include diverse applicants such as gender, ethnicity over a 5 year period.
Meeting Our Goals:
Program outcomes data is available upon request.
- The first year pass rate of our graduates taking the RD examination is 100%. (2010-2015)
- 97% of our graduates who sought employment were employed in dietetics within twelve months of program completion. (2012-2015)
- 100% of our graduates' employers felt they were adequately prepared for their position (2010-2015)
- 100% of interns enrolled in the DI program at BIDMC completed the program within 150% (63 weeks/15 months) the time allotted for completion. (2010-2016)
- 20% of our graduates represented diversity in the past 7 years. (2010-2016)
- 52% of our graduates were from non-New England States/Countries (2010-2016)