Dietetic Internship Overview
The BIDMC Dietetic Internship is a 10 month program with a special emphasis on nutrition therapy. The program runs from September to June and provides more than 1200 supervised practice hours. It is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND), 120 South Riverside Plaza, Chicago, IL 60606, 312-899-5400, a specialized accrediting body recognized by the Council for Higher Education Association and the United States Department of Education.
The internship program builds on the foundation of knowledge gained during didactic preparation, and provides practitioner competencies for entry level dietetics practice.
Graduation requirements must be met in order to successfully complete this program. In order to graduate the intern must:
- Act professionally in accordance with the code of ethics for the profession of dietetics
- Meet all competencies for the program
- Complete all rotation related paperwork
- Complete all assignments and projects
- Complete and present one nutrition care plan
- Present two abstracts
- Satisfactorily complete group project
- Pay tuition in full
- Make up for lost time due to excessive sick days or approved leave of absence
- Complete all requirements for graduation within a total of 15 months of supervised practice time
Upon completion of the program, dietetic interns receive a signed Verification Statement indicating they are eligible to take the registration examination for dietitians as administered by the Commission on Dietetic Registration ( www.cdrnet.org ), and qualify for active membership in the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Once they take and pass the registration exam, they are then eligible to apply for licensure in Massachusetts ( www.mass.gov ). If the new R.D. requires licensure in a state other than Massachusetts, they should obtain information from that state's licensure board.