The Global Health Curriculum Sessions are open to all residents. The opportunity for a Global Health Elective is also open to all residents but requires an application and adequate preparation. The Global Health Track is a separate hospital-wide track that requires application during internship and is intended for residents who are interested in Global Health as part of their careers. All residents that plan to work abroad will need to remain in good standing in order to participate in these opportunities.
Global Health Curriculum Sessions
- Held once a month and led by faculty from Harvard and other national and international institutions who are experts on topics relating to tropical medicine, global health and social medicine.
- Case-based sessions, discussions and didactic talks.
- View schedule
- These sessions, held once a month, are coordinated by our resident and include journal clubs, case-presentations, group discussions and practical skill sessions.
- View schedule
Global Health Elective
- Up to six weeks abroad (four weeks + two weeks vacation)
- At established site in Botswana with dedicated curriculum (or in exceptions in personally organized projects)
- Travel stipend of up to $1,500
- During "Area of concentration" time; application necessary
Global Health Track
- Competitive application for up to four selected residents
- Dedicated elective time for international work; maximum of 12 weeks (split in two over two years, including two weeks vacation; at least one elective abroad should be in Botswana)
- Additional opportunities for electives in underserved populations
- Required participation in Global Health curriculum, described above
- Required scholarly project
- Further training in global health through fully funded additional course work (either of the two below).
- Global Health Effectiveness Program
- Three-week intensive summer course at the Harvard School of Public Health, taught by experts in the field (co-directed by Paul Farmer, MD, PhD, Joseph J. Rhatigan, Jr., MD and Rebecca Weintraub, MD)
- Focus on epidemiology, health systems, global health delivery
- Learn more
- Read about the Global Health Track
|X = Can participate in this part of the program during that year
|Meet with Mentor
||Plan Elective and Project
||Evaluation and Feedback
|Seminars of GH Curriculum
|Global Health Course (HSPH)
|Local Elective in underserved population
||Goals and Objectives
||Create Teaching Presentation
||Scholarly Project and Elective Report