The Global Health Curriculum Sessions are open to all residents. The opportunity for a Global Health Elective is also open to all residents but requires an application and adequate preparation. The Global Health Track is a separate residency track that requires application during internship and is intended for internal medicine residents who are interested in global health as part of their careers. All residents that plan to work abroad will need to remain in good standing in order to participate in these opportunities.
Global Health Curriculum Sessions
Global Health Curriculum Sessions are open to all residents, medical students and other members of the Boston medical/public health community. Sessions are held throughout the year and include skill-based sessions, case discussions, journal clubs and lectures by experts from Harvard and other national and international institutions on topics relating to tropical medicine, global health and social medicine. These sessions are intended to provide residents with a broad knowledge base in global health and social medicine, prepare residents for their time abroad and train them to be effective clinicians in resource poor settings. View schedule.
Global Health Elective
- Up to six weeks abroad (four weeks + two weeks vacation)
- At established site in Botswana with dedicated curriculum (or in exceptions in personally organized projects)
- Travel stipend of up to $1,500
- During "Area of concentration" time; application necessary
Global Health Track
- Competitive application for up to four selected residents
- Dedicated elective time for international work; maximum of 12 weeks (split in two over two years, including two weeks vacation; at least one elective abroad should be in Botswana)
- Additional opportunities for electives in underserved populations
- Required participation in Global Health curriculum, described above
- Required scholarly project
- Further training in global health through fully funded additional Harvard academic courses.
Read more about the Global Health Track.