Residency in Internal Medicine - Application Process
Applicants to the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center Internal Medicine residency program must apply through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) . All internship positions will be offered through the National Residency Match Program (NRMP) . Please be sure to register. The relevant program numbers are:
- Preliminary Year (Internship only): 1256140P0
- Categorical Training in Medicine (Internship plus residency): 1256140C0
- Primary Care Program (Internship plus residency): 1256140M0
- HIV/Primary Care Program (Internship plus residency): 1256140M1
- Joint Medicine Neurology Program with BIDMC: 1256140P1
Please be certain to use the correct program identification number.
Primary Care Applicants
There are two separate programs for Primary Care, one for the HIV/Primary Care and one for Primary Care.
Housestaff with a strong interest in research careers can elect during their internship to pursue a research pathway consisting of two years of residency training in conjunction with an expanded research fellowship experience. More information about this pathway is available through the American Board of Internal Medicine .
The deadline for applications is October 15. All applicants are required to submit the following supplemental materials:
- Curriculum vitae (generated by ERAS)
- Personal statement
- Medical Student Performance Evaluation (formerly Dean's Letter)
- Medical school transcript
- USMLE Steps 1 & 2 scores or the equivalent FLEX examinations. Step 1 required at the time of interview. Any matched applicant in the State of Massachusetts will not be able to apply for a limited license until these scores are reported.
- Letter from the Chair of the applicant's Department of Medicine or from a designee (the latter must indicate that his/her letter is in place of a Chair's letter). A chairman's letter is preferred, but not required for applicants applying to our Preliminary Program.
- Two additional letters of recommendation. Additional letters may be submitted without penalty.
- Applicants who are matching as a couple must include the name and program of their significant other at the bottom of the personal statement
International Medical Graduates
International medical graduates must apply through the ECFMG; the ERAS application kit for international medical graduates is available on the ECFMG Home Page
Due to the vast amount of highly qualified applicants, only a small number of foreign medical graduates are accepted to our program. For international medical graduates we require:
- At least one year of "hands-on" clinical experience in the United States (not an observership or research)
- Two letters of recommendation from clinical supervisors in the United States
- USMLE Step 1 and Step 2 scores in the 90th percentile
- Medical school graduation date within three years of the start of internship
- We sponsor J-1 and H-1B Visas
Medical Student Electives/Clerkships
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center is a major teaching affiliate of Harvard Medical School. Thus, all electives and clerkships are processed via Harvard Medical School's Office of the Registrar. Please visit their website at www.hms.harvard.edu/registrar or call 617-432-1515.
We currently do not offer any observerships.
Additional questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org