In addition to daily change-of-shift teaching rounds, the following didactic sessions constitute an integral part of resident education:
- Monthly grand rounds focus primarily on current areas of controversy or research in Emergency Medicine and are given by speakers with nationally recognized expertise in the specific area.
- Bi-monthly seminars are designed to cover the core content in Emergency Medicine and to provide problem-based learning and active participation in order to facilitate retention and comprehension of material.
- Simulation Sessions - Throughout the year, the residents participate in sessions at the BIDMC Shapiro Simulation Center. These skills sessions emphasize high acuity cases, team work and communication, and are designed to complement the core curriculum.
- During weekly morbidity and mortality conferences cases are analyzed, allowing participants to propose solutions to clinical problems and discuss alternative management strategies.
- Research conferences are held to review resident research proposals and for residents to practice their presentations prior to regional or national meetings.
- Skills Labs - a yearly series of cadaver and animal procedural labs, airway labs, suture and wound care labs, and a hand lab are held to practice and improve on these skills. Twice a year, an ultrasound lab is held to teach and practice techniques of abdominal and cardiac ultrasounds as used in the emergency department.
- Monthly journal clubs - the literature on a selected topic is reviewed with regards to content and methodology.
- Monthly follow-up conferences are designed to teach how Emergency Medicine interventions and disposition affect patient outcome.
- The National In-Service exam is given yearly. Prior to the exam, lectures are given to teach the knowledge base and skills required to successfully pass the boards in Emergency Medicine.
- Oral case simulations - faculty members proctor oral case simulations throughout the year in order to prepare residents for the American Board of Emergency Medicine oral boards.
Asynchronous Learning, virtual conference- video recorded conferences are available for online viewing with an interactive question and answer option.