About Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
The Division of Cardiovascular Medicine at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (BIDMC) has a long and distinguished history as a leader in the development of cardiovascular treatments, in research and scientific discovery, and in training future generations of cardiologists.
Created in 1996 through the merger of two revered Boston institutions, Beth Israel Hospital and New England Deaconess Hospital, BIDMC maintains a longstanding reputation for compassionate patient care coupled with the most advanced of patient treatments. With innovations dating back to Beth Israel's founding in 1916 and Deaconess's creation in 1896, BIDMC has truly been at the forefront of cardiovascular medicine. Among the medical milestones:
- The first implantable cardiac pacemaker was developed by Dr. Paul Zoll at Beth Israel Hospital in 1952.
- BI's Dr. Herrman Blumgart was the first investigator to use radioisotopes in studying human cardiac physiology, paving the way for modern day nuclear cardiology.
- Beth Israel cardiologist Dr. Louis Wolff was a member of the team that first described the clinical manifestations of what has become known as Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome.
- In our more recent history, the Deaconess Hospital established a record of excellence in developing its two catheterization laboratories in the decade between 1965 and 1975, as well as creating one of Boston's first coronary intensive care units.
Today, the 591-bed medical center is a tertiary/quaternary teaching hospital of Harvard Medical School, serving more than half a million patients each year. BIDMC's biomedical research program consistently ranks in the top four in National Institutes of Health funding among independent hospitals nationwide. Furthermore, the nation's oldest clinical research laboratory, the Harvard-Thorndike Laboratory, has been located at BIDMC since 1973.