Academic Careers and Faculty Development
The Office for Academic Careers and Faculty Development (ACFD) was established in order to foster and maximize the academic career potential of all BIDMC practicing physicians and researchers. This includes helping faculty with MD degrees focused on careers as physician scientists and clinician teachers as well as PhD faculty focused on research aimed at understanding and curing human diseases.
To accomplish this goal ACFD offers several levels of services:
- Essential resources necessary to develop and enhance one's career. This includes easy access to web-based tools that can assist faculty with tasks such as identifying funding sources, writing and submitting grants, preparing budgets, and writing manuscripts.
- A comprehensive curriculum addressing the development and advancement of academic careers. The curriculum covers topics such as: understanding the Harvard Medical School faculty promotion guidelines and process, enhancing leadership skills, conducting effective negotiations, developing and evaluating vitas, writing an NIH biosketch, improving time management skills, preparing for annual performance reviews, achieving work-life balance, leading a meeting/committee, and obtaining K series awards.
- Linkages to Harvard Medical School Office for Faculty Affairs and to Harvard Catalyst programs.
- One-on-one career mentorship.
- Consultations with departmental leadership in order to help strengthen mentoring and career development within individual departments.
- A support system for faculty in preparing promotion packages.
- "Work-in-progress" groups for junior faculty.
- Maintenance of up-to-date academic rankings of all BIDMC faculty.
Lastly, ACFD welcomes the opportunity to collaborate with departments and the BIDMC Office of Multicultural Affairs to support the recruitment and academic promotion of underrepresented minority faculty at the medical center.
We hope you find this website informative. Please feel free to
contact our office if you would like further information on our programs.