Diabetic Foot Care
BIDMC and Joslin Partnership
The Joslin-Beth Israel Deaconess Foot Center, a joint venture of Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Joslin Diabetes Center, is a state-of-the-art wound care center renowned for its novel techniques and impressive limb salvage rates. The center provides a multifaceted spectrum of services related to preventing, treating and managing lower extremity problems. Its exceptional team of surgeons, physicians, nurses and technicians is particularly well-positioned to care for patients with
diabetes. In the late 1980s and early 1990s, BIDMC podiatric surgeons pioneered novel limb-sparing techniques. These techniques have since become the gold standard of care at wound care centers across the nation.
The Joslin-Beth Israel Deaconess Foot Center features:
- Patient education programs that emphasize proper home foot care to decrease the likelihood of diabetic complications such as infection, ulcerations, peripheral vascular disease and amputations.
- Expertise in reconstructive foot surgery procedures in diabetic patients with a goal of limb preservation and restoring a functional lower extremity.
- Surgical expertise in reconstructive surgery of the unstable, chronically ulcerated Charcot foot. The center is the only one of its type that has documented long-term outcomes and limb salvage rate.
- Novel revascularization techniques for limb-threatening ischemia and non-healing ulcerations.
- State-of-the-art wound healing modalities such as vacuum-assisted closure, living skin equivalents and topical growth factors.
- Orthotic technicians and prosthetists who produce custom-made orthoses and prostheses.