Jim S. Wu, MD
Chief, Musculoskeletal Imaging and Intervention
Associate Professor of Radiology, Harvard Medical School
Yale New Haven Hospital in Musculoskeletal Radiology
Yale New Haven Hospital in Diagnostic Radiology
Lahey Clinic Medical Center in Internal Medicine
Baylor College of Medicine
Dr. Wu was born in Hualien,Taiwan and moved to South Texas at a young age. He graduated from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1994 with a BS in Biology and Concentration in the History of Art and Architecture. After graduating from Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, TX (1999), he then completed an internal medicine internship at the Lahey Clinic in Burlington, MA (2000). He completed his Diagnostic Radiology Residency (2004) and Musculoskeletal Imaging Fellowship (2005) at Yale/New Haven Hospital. Dr. Wu has been on the musculoskeletal imaging staff at BIDMC since 2005. His clinical and research interests relate to musculoskeletal neoplasms, image guided interventions, and developing novel techniques to image muscle disorders.
He has authored over 70 scientific articles/books/book chapters, has given numerous national/international lectures, and is a reviewer for several journals. Dr. Wu also has a strong interest in medical education and served as the Radiology Residency Program Director from 2009-2011. He has won several teaching and mentorship awards including the departmental faculty teaching award (2006, 2009), Harvard Medical School Young Mentor Award (2012) and Harvard "Excellence in Medical Student Teaching" Award (2013, 2016). He lives in Lexington, MA with his wife and 2 children.
- Wu JS, Goldsmith JD, Horwich PJ, Shetty SK, Hochman MG. Bone and soft-tissue lesions: what factors affect diagnostic yield of image-guided core-needle biopsy? Radiology. 2008; 248(3):962-970. PMID: 18710986.
- Rana R, Wu JS, Eisenberg RE. Patterns in Imaging: Periosteal Reaction. AJR. 2009; 193(4):W259-72. PMID: 19770293.
- Wu JS and Hochman MG. Imaging of soft tissue tumors and tumor-like conditions: A systematic approach. Radiology. 2009; 253:297-316. PMID: 19864525.
- Wu JS, Darras BT, Rutkove SB. Assessing spinal muscular atrophy with quantitative ultrasound. Neurology. 2010; 75(6):526-31. PMID: 20697104.
- McMahon C, Wu JS, Eisenberg RE. Patterns in Imaging: Muscle Edema. AJR. 2010; 194(4):W284-92. PMID: 2030847.
- Wu JS, Buettner C, Smithline H, Ngo LH, Greenman RL. Evaluation of skeletal muscle during calf exercise measured by 31P MR spectroscopy in patients on statin medications. Muscle and Nerve. 2011; 43:76-81. PMID: 21171098.
- Kung JW, Yablon C, Huang E, Henessey H, Wu JS. Clinical and Radiologic Predictive Factors of Septic Hip Arthritis. AJR. 2012. 199(4):868-74. PMID: 22997380.
- Srivastava T, Darras BT, Wu JS, Rutkove SB. Machine learning algorithms to classify spinal muscular atrophy subtypes. Neurology. 2012; 79(4):358-64. PMID: 22786588.
- Didolkar M, Anderson M, Rissmiller J, Hochman MG, Goldsmith J, Gebhardt M, Wu JS. Core Needle Biopsy of Musculoskeletal Lesions: Are non-diagnostic results clinically useful? Clin Ortho Relat Res. 2013. 471:3601–3609. PMID: 23861048.
- Zaidman CM, Wu JS, Wilder S, Darras BT, Rutkove SB. Minimal training is required to reliably perform quantitative ultrasound of muscle. Muscle and Nerve. 2014; 50(1):124-8. PMID: 24218288.
- Rutkove SB, Geisbush T, Mijailovic A, Shklyar I, Pasternak A, Visyak N, Wu JS, Zaidman C, Darras BT. Cross-sectional evaluation of ultrasound and electrical impedance myography for the assessment of Duchenne muscular dystrophy in a clinical trial setting. Pediatric Neurology. 2014; 51(1):88-92. PMID:24814059.
- Sarwar A, Wu JS, Kung JW, Lee KS, Brook A, Gauguet JM, Rosen M. Graphical representation of clinical symptoms: A tool to improve detection of subtle fractures on foot radiography. AJR. 2014; 203(4):W429-33. PMID: 25247972.
- McKay RR, Zukotynski KA, Werner L, Voznesensky O, Wu JS, Smith SE, Jiang Z, Melnick K, Yuan X, Kantoff PW, Montgomery B, Balk SP, Taplin ME. Imaging, procedural, and clinical variables associated with tumor yield on bone biopsy in metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer. Prostate Cancer P D. 2014;17(4):325-31. PMID: 25091040.
- Shklyar I, Geisbush TR, Mijialovic AS, Pasternak A, Darras BT, Wu JS, Rutkove SB, Zaidman CM. Quantitative Muscle Ultrasound in Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy: A Comparison of Techniques. Muscle and Nerve. 2015;51(2):207-13. PMID:24862337.
- Lin YC, Mhuircheartaigh JN, Lamb J, Kung JK, Yablon C, Wu JS. Imaging of Adult Flatfoot: Correlation of Radiographic Measurements with MRI. AJR. 2015:204(2):354-9. PMID: 25615758.
- Wu JS, Li J, Greenman RL, Bennett D, Geisbush T, Rutkove SB. Assessment of Aged mdx Mice by Electrical Impedance Myography and MRI. Muscle and Nerve. 2015:52(4):598-604 PMID: 25597760.
- Cohen M, Kung JW, McMahon CJ, Wu JS. Comparison of Battery-Powered and Manual Bone Biopsy Systems in Core Needle Biopsy of Sclerotic Bone Lesions. AJR. 2016:206(5):W83-6. PMID: 26959290.
- Lin YC, Wu J, Baltzis D, Veves A, Greenman RL. An MRI Assessment of Regional Differences in Phosphorus-31 Oxidative Capacity and Morphological Abnormalities of the Foot muscles in Diabetes. J Magn Reson Imag. 2016 Apr 15. doi: 10.1002/jmri.25278. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 27080459.
- Koppaka S, Shklyar I, Rutkove SB, Darras BT, Anthony BW, Zaidman CM, Wu JS. Quantitative Ultrasound Assessment of Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Using Edge Detection Analysis. J Ultras Med. 2016. PMID: 27417736.
- Baltzis D, Dushay JR, Loader J, Wu J, Greenman RL, Roustit M, Veves A. Effect of linagliptin on vascular function: a randomized, placebo controlled study. J Clin Endocr Metab. 2016. In Press. PMID:27583476
- Buettner C, Greenman RL, Long NH, Wu JS. Effects of Coenzyme Q10 on Skeletal Muscle Oxidative Metabolism in Statin Users Assessed Using 31P Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy: a Randomized Controlled Study. J Nat Sci. 2016. 2(8):e212. PMID: 27610419
- Wu JS, McMahon CJ, Lozano-Calderon S, Kung JW. Utility of Core Needle Rebiopsy of Initially Non-diagnostic Musculoskeletal Lesions. AJR. 2016. In Press.
- Pigula AJ, Wu JS, Gilbertson MW, Darras BT, Rutkove SB, Anthony BW. Force-controlled ultrasound to measure passive mechanical properties of muscle in Duchenne muscular dystrophy. IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society. 2016. In Press.
URL to full list of published research in PUBMED