Bettina Siewert, MD
Executive Vice Chair for Radiology
Vice Chair for Quality, Safety and Performance Improvement
Staff Radiologist, Abdominal Imaging
Co-Director, Abdominal Imaging Fellowship Program
Associate Professor of Radiology, Harvard Medical School
Dr. Siewert earned her medical degree from Friedrich Wilhelm University Medical School in Bonn, Germany and completed residency training in radiology at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, becoming Chief Resident in 2001. She also completed research fellowships in MRI at the New England Deaconess and Beth Israel Hospitals In 1997, she completed a clinical fellowship in CT/MRI Body Imaging at what became the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. Dr. Siewert has published more than 33 original articles and presents her work at professional conferences worldwide. She is the recipient of The Risa and Felix Fleischner Young Investigator Award and the Andrew Frank Berezin, MD Award for Excellence in Clinical Mentoring of Fellow Residents. Her research interests include imaging evaluation of acute abdominal pain.
- Boos J, Fang J, Snell A, Hallett D, Siewert B, Eisenberg RL, Brook OR. Electronic Kiosks for Patient Satisfaction Survey in Radiology. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2016 Dec 22:1-8. PMID: 28004975.
- Brook OR, Siewert B, Weinstein J, Ahmed M, Kruskal J. Measuring and improving the patient experience in radiology. Abdom Radiol (NY). 2016 Nov 16. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 27853849.
- McGillen KL, Boos J, Nathavitharana R, Brook A, Sun MR, Siewert B, Raptopoulos V, Kane R, Sheiman R, Brook OR. Diagnostic yield and clinical impact of microbiologic diagnosis from CT-guided drainage in patients previously treated with empiric antibiotics. Abdom Radiol (NY). 2017 Jan;42(1):298-305. PMID: 27654990.
- Ní Mhuircheartaigh JM, Siewert B, Sun MR. Correlation between the size of incidental thyroid nodules detected on CT, MRI or PET-CT and subsequent ultrasound. Clin Imaging. 2016 Nov - Dec;40(6):1162-1166. PMID: 27569401.
- Kruskal JB, Eisenberg RL, Brook O, Siewert B. Transitioning from peer review to peer learning for abdominal radiologists. Abdom Radiol (NY). 2016 Mar;41(3):416-28. Review. PMID: 26940330.
- Siewert B, Brook OR, Hochman M, Eisenberg RL. Impact of Communication Errors in Radiology on Patient Care, Customer Satisfaction, and Work-Flow Efficiency. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2016 Mar;206(3):573-9. doi: 10.2214/AJR.15.15117. PMID: 26901014.
- Siewert B, Hochman MG. Improving Safety through Human Factors Engineering. Radiographics. 2015 Oct;35(6):1694-705. PMID: 26466179.
- Gareen IF, Siewert B, Vanness DJ, Herman B, Johnson CD, Gatsonis C. Patient willingness for repeat screening and preference for CT colonography and optical colonoscopy in ACRIN 6664: the National CT Colonography trial. Patient Prefer Adherence. 2015 Jul 23;9:1043-51. PMID: 26229451; PMCID: PMC4516344.
- Fidler JL, Zhang Z, Herman BA, Limburg PJ, Fletcher JG, Dachman A, Heiken JP, Kuo MD, Menias CO, Siewert B, Cheema JI, Obregon RG, Zimmerman P, Horton KM, Coakley K, Iyer RB, Hara A, Halvorsen RA Jr, Casola G, Yee J, Burgart LJ, Johnson CD. CT colonography for the detection of nonpolypoid adenomas: sensitivity assessed with restricted national CT colonography trial criteria. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2014 Dec;203(6):W614-22. PMID: 25415726; PMCID: PMC4312488.
- Agarwal MD, Levenson RB, Siewert B, Camacho MA, Raptopoulos V. Limited added utility of performing follow-up contrast-enhanced CT in patients undergoing initial non-enhanced CT for evaluation of flank pain in the emergency department. Emerg Radiol. 2015 Apr;22(2):109-15. PMID: 25082439.