To find a doctor, call 800-667-5356 or click below:

Find a Doctor

Request an Appointment

left banner
right banner
Smaller Larger

1970s

Glover Memorial Hospital, 1972

Longtime Needham resident and Glover physician Dorathea Willgoose, MD, establishes the "Hospice for Needham" and works with hospital staff to coordinate discharge planning and care.

Willgoose's lifetime of advocacy on behalf of senior citizens earns her recognition and awards from town, state and federal offices.

“Hospice for Needham” organizers. Standing: Simon Weitzman, MD, Anita Kinne, RN and Pastoral Counsel Reverend Ellingsworth. Seated: Kathleen Pompliano, Hospice coordinator Joanne Hariu, RN, Dorathea Willgoose, MD, Anne Tinkham, RN and Director of Nursing Nancy Laffey, RN

1975

Newspaper article about the Aid Association’s $13,000 donation for mammography equipment, 1975

The Glover Memorial Aid Association is formally incorporated into the hospital structure. After First Lady Betty Ford undergoes breast cancer surgery, the nation begins to pay more attention to breast cancer screening. The Lobby Shop presents the Aid Association with a $13,000 check to start a fund to purchase mammography equipment.

"Volunteers are often the unsung heroines of the hospital; their reward comes from helping others and from being a member of a team whose message is service."
- Daily Transcript , January 30, 1975

1976-1977

The original Glover Home and Hospital is torn down to make room for a $2.1 million expansion and renovation of the South Wing. From the 1940s to the 1960s, it had been a residence for nurses. Superintendent of Nursing Helen Linane, RN, was one of the last nurses to live there.




Aerial view showing original Glover Home and Hospital (#4) prior to demolition

Aerial view of hospital prior to demolition of original Glover Home and Hospital (#4)



Demolition of the original Glover Home and Hospital and construction for South Wing addition, shown in hospital publication Pulsebeat, February 1977

Demolition of original Glover Home and Hospital and construction for South Wing addition, shown in hospital publication Pulsebeat, February 1977






Newspaper article "No One Wants Needham's Old Hospital," November 17, 1976

Newspaper article “No One Wants Needham’s Old Hospital,” November 17, 1976




Aerial view of expansion and renovation of South Wing, 1977

Aerial view of expansion and renovation of South Wing, 1977






Open House program, May 21, 1978

Open House program, May 21, 1978






"The Hospital and the Community 1910-1978" from the Open House program

“The Hospital and the Community 1910-1978” from the Open House program




Hospital waiting room, 1978

Hospital waiting room, 1978


Newspaper article "Everyone came through for us," a letter from a Needham resident, January 1, 1977

Newspaper article “Everyone came through for us,” a letter from a Needham resident, January 1, 1977

1979

The hospital establishes a community education program for CPR Training.

CPR training with nurses (L-R): Bertha Edison, RN, Carol MacPherson, Nancy Fischen, Carol Janas, RN

Contact Information

Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital-Needham
148 Chestnut Street
Needham, MA 02492
781-453-3000