The Rehabilitation Medicine Department provides a complete range of physical, occupational and speech/language therapies. Each therapeutic service has a common, two-fold objective: (1) to perform an individualized evaluation of every patient and (2) to develop a personalized treatment plan that either facilitates recovery of lost function due to an acute process or maximizes function at the highest and safest level possible within the limits of existing disease or disability.
At each visit, a licensed physical or occupational therapist (PT or OT) provides ongoing assessment and education services for patients.
- Physical therapists at Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital-Needham focus on the treatment of orthopedic and sports-related injuries.
- Occupational therapists at Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital-Needham are certified hand therapists, specializing in the treatment of problems related to the hand, wrist and elbow.
- Speech services are primarily inpatient-based.
- Outpatient swallowing studies via videofluroscopy are available and arranged in consultation with Radiology.
Listed below are some of the injuries and illnesses treated through PT.
- Back pain
- Rotator cuff injuries
- Frozen shoulder
- Ankle sprains
- Balance and falling issues
Listed below are some of the injuries and illnesses treated through OT.
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Post-injury and post-surgical care