Health and Fitness Tips
The key to any exercise program is proper posture and alignment: Sit or stand with the crown of the head elongated towards the ceiling, keeping the shoulders back, and contracting the abdominal muscles.
It is important to perform stretching exercises every day to reduce strain on joints and prevent injuries. We encourage our female atheletes to take a yoga or pilates class to enhance their core strength and flexibility.
Focus on strengthening exercises to correct the musculoskeletal imbalances. Consult with a physician and physical therapist for an assessment of your individual strength deficits.
Click here for strengthening exercises »
Foods that are high in Vitamin D include:
- fish such as salmon, mackerel and tuna fish
- fortified milk
- egg yolk
Foods high in calcium include:
- green leafy vegetables such as broccoli, collards, kale, mustard greens, turnip greens and bok choy
- salmon and sardines canned with their soft bones
- almonds, Brazil nuts, sunflower seeds, tahini, and dried beans
- yogurt, milk, cheese
- orange juice, cereal, breads and tofu with added calcium