Ryan Friedberg, MD
Specializes in Sports and Musculoskeletal Medicine
Dr. Ryan Friedberg is a sports medicine physician at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center who specializes in the non-operative management of general orthopedic and sports-related injuries. His clinical expertise includes knee, hip, shoulder, foot and ankle injuries. Dr. Friedberg evaluates and treats all sports and general orthopaedic injuries.
Dr. Friedberg commonly cares for
- Sports-related injuries
- Overuse injuries
- Stress fractures
- Running injuries
- Back injuries
He also specializes in
- Ultrasound-guided injections
- PRP injections
Dr. Friedberg has offices at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston and 1101 Beacon Street, Suite 5W in Brookline.
Education and Training
Dr. Friedberg graduated from the University of Pittsburgh in 1994 with honors in biology. During his four years at the University of Pittsburgh he was also a letterman for the Panthers football team.
Dr. Friedberg went on to graduate from medical school at MCP- Hahnemann School of Medicine in Philadelphia, PA. He did his residency training in orthopedic surgery at Allegheny General Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA; and in emergency medicine at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA. Upon completion of his residency, Dr. Friedberg completed a fellowship in sports medicine at Children's Hospital, Boston, in 2005 under the tutelage of Lyle Micheli, MD, and Pierre D'Hemecourt, MD.
Professional Appointments and Affiliations
- Attending Sports/Musculoskeletal Medicine Physician, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
- Director of Musculoskeletal Education, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center- Harvard Affiliated Emergency Medicine Residency Program
- Attending Emergency Medicine Physician, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
- Attending Emergency Medicine Physician, St. Vincent Medical Center
- Clinical Instructor, Harvard Medical School
- Medical Director, Simmons College Summer Sports Camp
- Medical Staff, Boston Red Sox First Aid
- Team Physician, Wentworth Institute of Technology
- Team Physician, Simmons College
- Team Physician, Wheelock College
- Board Certified in Emergency Medicine
- Board Certified in Sports Medicine
- Member of American College of Sports Medicine
- Member of American College of Emergency Physicians
Dr. Friedberg's research focus and interests include the management of acute knee injuries as well as the non-operative management of tendonitis.
Professional Accomplishments & Awards
Dr. Friedberg has given lectures at numerous local, regional, national and international conferences. He also has multiple publications including poster presentations, scientific research articles and book chapters. When he is not working clinically or doing research, he spends his academic time teaching medical students and residents Sports and Musculoskeletal Medicine.
In the Media
UpToDate.com, ACL Injuries
To learn more about Ryan Friedberg, MD,