A number of quality improvement projects are monitored regularly in the Rheumatology Division, including:
- documentation of injection procedures
- screening ophthalmologic examinations for patients taking antimalarial medications
- appropriate laboratory monitoring of patients taking methotrexate, leflunomide and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications
- screening for tuberculosis prior to anti-TNF therapy
- telephone and appointment access, and
- documentation of reproductive counseling prior to the initiation of methotrexate or cyclophosphamide therapy.
Ongoing data analysis suggests that clinicians are providing outstanding care and that the quality improvement program within the division has had a positive impact. The goal of the division is continuous quality improvement over time.