Sleep Disorders Clinic
Accredited by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine
The Sleep Disorders Clinic at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center is one of the premier sleep disorders clinics in the United States. The clinic was the first in Massachusetts accredited by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine. In addition, it remains one of the busiest sleep clinics in New England with an excess of 5,000 patient visits per year.
Collaboration Between Pulmonary and Neurology
The Sleep Disorders Clinic is jointly staffed by attending physicians from the Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine and the Department of Neurology at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center.
The clinic serves as a regional referral center and provides evaluation and care to patients with a variety of sleep disorders.
Accredited Fellowship Program
The Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine supports the training of sleep medicine fellows in the clinic's ACGME-accredited fellowship program.
Research programs include the use of new monitoring techniques and drugs to treat sleep disorders, interaction of human circadian rhythms with neuroimmune function, as well as basic research in the mechanisms of sleep and arousal.
Full Range of Sleep Disorders Treated
The clinic treats adult patients with the full range of sleep disorders including:
- Sleep-related breathing disorders
- Restless legs syndrome
- Circadian rhythm disturbances
- Periodic limb movements of sleep
Full Spectrum of Diagnostic Testing Modalities
The clinic maintains the full spectrum of diagnostic testing modalities including:
- Overnight in-laboratory polysomnography providing diagnostic and titration polysomnography for treatment of obstructive sleep apnea
- Specialized protocols for treatment of central sleep apnea and patients with neuromuscular disease and nocturnal hypoventilation
- Seizure montage
- Parasomnia montage
- Multiple Sleep Latency Testing
- Maintenance of Wakefulness Testing
- Suggested Immobilization Testing (SIT) for evaluation of Restless Legs Syndrome
- Dim Light Melatonin Onset Testing
Comprehensive Education and Care
Comprehensive education and care of patients as well as close follow up of treatment responses are at the core of the clinic's mission.
Evaluation and Treatment
Evaluation and treatment of sleep-related breathing disorders includes initiation of positive airway pressure therapy supported by regular monitoring of compliance data and on-site mask fitting sessions. Evaluation for dental appliances and surgical interventions are also employed when indicated.