Women’s Health Center
Dedicated to Meeting the Needs of Women
The Women's Health Center at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center provides specialized primary care and mental health services that address a wide range of women's health issues.
Staffed by a well-coordinated team of experienced physicians, nurse practitioners and mental health specialists, the Women's Health Center is dedicated to meeting the needs of women at all stages of life. At the Women's Health Center, every woman is respected as an individual with unique medical, social, cultural and emotional concerns.
Specialized Primary Care Services for Women
Clinicians at the Women's Health Center focus on preventing, screening for, diagnosing and managing conditions or illnesses that are unique to women, are more common or more serious in women, or have different risk factors in women. Specific areas of expertise include:
- Breast and routine gynecologic care
- Cardiovascular disease and diabetes prevention
- Contraception options and family planning
- Headache prevention and management
- Health and wellness for women with disabilities
- Incontinence and pelvic floor problems
- Medical issues during pregnancy
- Menopausal symptoms, including hot flashes and vaginal dryness
- Metabolic disorders, including polycystic ovary syndrome
- Osteopenia and osteoporosis
- Primary care for women cancer survivors
- Safer sex and treatment of sexually transmitted infections
- Sexual satisfaction and problems with sexual function
- Vulvovaginal problems, including recurrent vaginitis, vulvodynia, and vestibulitis
- Weight management, including pre- and post-gastric bypass surgery care
Center for Women's Sexual Health
Few resources address particularly sensitive women's health issues, such as sexual function. In response to this need, the Center for Women's Sexual Health offers comprehensive evaluation and treatment for women with sexual problems in a discreet, caring and respectful environment.
Comprehensive Mental Health Services
In addition to extraordinary medical expertise, the Women's Health Center offers comprehensive mental health services that include individual consultation, couples counseling and groups. As integral members of the care team, the center's social workers work closely with patients and their medical providers to identify and manage conditions such as stress, depression, anxiety and phobias, as well as transitional issues that often interfere with attaining the highest quality of life.
Medical Consultation Services
In addition to providing comprehensive care to patients who select the Women's Health Center as their primary care site, the center also offers circumscribed medical consultation services to patients at the discretion of their referring clinicians. Consultation is available for all of the special issues listed above, and referring physicians are welcome to communicate additional needs.