Preparing for your Bone Density Test
Welcome to the Osteoporosis Prevention and Treatment Center at BIDMC
Please remember the following for your upcoming Bone Density Test.
- Check with your referring doctor to see if an order has been submitted for the test. If an order has not been submitted, we may need to reschedule.
- Coverage by insurance companies for Bone Density Testing varies greatly. Contact your insurance company to ensure coverage.
- Notify us immediately if you have had any oral or IV contrast TWO weeks prior to your test. This can include certain radiology or nuclear medicine appointments and barium swallows.
- Please arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled testing time to allow for required paperwork.
- Jewelry or any metal on clothing (including zippers, buttons and underwire) will interfere with your test results. If you have metal accessories you will be asked to change into a hospital gown.
- Do not take a calcium supplement on the day of your test.
Our goal is to provide Bone Density Testing in a timely manner. In order to do so, we ask that you provide at least three (3) days notice when cancelling your appointment.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your upcoming Bone Density Test, please call 617-667-9344.