At the Spine Center at BIDMC, our patients benefit from a comprehensive evaluation and collaboration among specialists to select the optimum treatment. Often, treatment does not require surgery.
We care for adult patients with neck and back problems including:
- Conditions caused by aging (degenerative disease): Lumbar and spinal stenosis, degenerative disc disease, herniated disc, osteoporosis and fragility/compression fractures of the spine, spondylolisthesis.
- Central spinal cord compression (myelopathy) of the cervical and thoracic spine.
- Problems with a spinal nerve root (radiculopathy) of the cervical, thoracic or lumbar spine.
- Arthritis of the spine.
- Tumors of the spine and spinal cord.
- Spinal deformities such as scoliosis and kyphosis.
- Spine trauma and spinal cord injuries.
- Acute or chronic back and neck pain.
Our services include evaluation, pain management, physical therapy and surgery.
- Complete musculoskeletal evaluation
- Comprehensive radiology imaging including MRI, CT scans, bone scans, X-rays and PET scans
- EMG/nerve conduction studies
- Neurology evaluation
- Evaluation for inflammatory arthritis
- Injections (epidural injections, nerve root blocks, facet injections, dorsal rhizotomy, sacroiliac injections)
- Pain specialist consultation
- Spinal cord stimulators
- Radiofrequency ablation
- Manual therapy
- Range-of-motion and core exercises
- Aqua therapy
Harnessing the most advanced surgical techniques, Spine Center surgeons treat all spine conditions from the base of the skull (cervical spine) to the pelvis (lumbar spine). Surgeons frequently perform:
- Decompression, fusion and instrumentation procedures via minimally invasive approaches, as well as via traditional open surgery when appropriate
- Osteotomies for spinal deformity and treat scoliosis
Beth Israel Deaconess is a medical center that provides the highest level of specialty care, and BIDMC surgeons are adept at revision surgeries for patients who have previously had surgery elsewhere and are experiencing problems, as well as comprehensive evaluation of new problems. BIDMC surgeons bring special expertise in:
- Minimally invasive decompression
- Minimally invasive instrumented fusion
- Minimally invasive anterior fusions in the lumbar spine (direct lateral interbody fusion)
Coordinated Off-Site Services
For your convenience, the Spine Center at Beth Israel Deaconess can coordinate off-site services including:
- Physical and occupational therapy
- Massage therapy
- Chiropractic care