Muneeb Ahmed, MD, FSIR
- Chief, Division of Vascular & Interventional Radiology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
- Vice Chair of Interventional Service
- Associate Program Director, Integrated IR/DR Residency
- Co-Director, Minimally Invasive Tumor Therapy Laboratory, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
- Associate Professor of Radiology, Harvard Medical School
- The Aga Khan University Medical College, Pakistan
- NCI Research Fellow in Cancer Radiology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
- Internship, Metrowest Medical Center/Harvard Medical School Affiliate
- Residency in Diagnostic Radiology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center/Harvard Medical School
- Chief Resident, Radiology Residency Program, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
- Fellowship in Vascular and Interventional Radiology, The Johns Hopkins School of Medicine
Certification, Licensure, Professional Societies
- Board Certified in Radiology (American Board of Radiology)
- Medical License: Massachusetts
- Member, Radiological Society of North America; Society of Interventional Radiology, New England Society of Interventional Radiology, American College of Radiology, Society of Thermal Medicine
- Certificate of Added Qualifications (CAQ) in Vascular and Interventional Radiology, ABR
Department of Radiology
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
One Deaconess Rd., WCC-3
Boston, MA 02215
Phone: 617-754-2523 (Maxima Baudissin, Admin. Assistant)
To schedule a clinic consultation for a procedure, please call Maxima Baudissin, Administrative Assistant, Extension 617-754-2523.
Dr. Ahmed's clinical practice includes a complete range of image-guided and minimally-invasive interventional procedures. He has extensive training in both vascular and non-vascular diagnostic and therapeutic procedures, including but not limited to:
- Interventional oncology including radiofrequency ablation and cryo-ablation for solid tumors (liver, kidney, lung, bone, adrenal gland) and chemoembolization for liver tumors
- Arterial interventions for solid organ/visceral (renal, mesenteric, hepatic) and peripheral disease (diagnostic imaging, treatment of stenosis with angioplasty and stenting)
- Arterial embolization for acute and traumatic bleeding
- Arteriovenous malformation treatment, including percutaneous and endovascular treatment of venous and lymphatic malformations
- Dialysis access interventions (fistulography and catheter-related procedures)
- Venous thrombosis management (inferior vena cava filter placement, deep venous thrombosis thrombectomy/thrombolysis, pulmonary thrombectomy)
- Liver vascular interventions such as portal vein embolization/angioplasty/stenting/thrombectomy, transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt (TIPS) creation and management
- Biliary interventions (transhepatic cholangiography and drainage, cholangioplasty, biopsy, stent placement)
- Nephrostomy tube placement and management
- CT-guided diagnostic fine needle aspiration and biopsy
- Percutaneous abscess drainage
- CT-guided Celiac Plexus Nerve Block/Neurolysis
- Central venous access (tunneled access lines and subcutaneous chest and arm ports)
- Gynecologic and genitourinary interventions including uterine artery/fibroid embolization, varicocele embolization, and treatment of pelvic venous congestion syndrome
- Musculoskeletal interventions, such as CT-ablation of benign bone tumors, plantar fibromas, and sclerotherapy of ganglion and bone cysts
Dr. Ahmed's research interests are focused on using image guidance to perform minimally invasive and directed therapies to treat localized tumors. This includes using percutaneous tumor ablation (radiofrequency or cryoablation) in combination with systemic targeted chemotherapy, and administered targeted therapy through direct intra-arterial injection (such as chemoembolization). For his research on the biologic effects of tumor ablation, he was recognized by the Society of Interventional Radiology with its’ prestigious 2014 Gary J. Becker Young Investigator Award, given annually to a single individual who demonstrates great promise in interventional radiology research. He has co-authored more than 45 peer-reviewed original research articles in his field and 20 invited reviews book chapters, and has received independent governmental and national societal funding for his research. Given his expertise in the field of image-guided tumor treatment, he has been the lead author and significant contributor to several international societal and expert panel consensus practice documents. Dr. Ahmed is also an active and award-winning reviewer for leading journals in his specialty, including Radiology, Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology, and The International Journal of Hyperthermia. He gives invited talks on his research at various national societal meetings annually.
Selected Peer Reviewed Publications
- Goldberg SN, Ahmed M, Gazelle GS, Kruskal JB, Huertas JC, Halpern EF, Oliver BS, Lenkinski RE. Radio-frequency thermal ablation with NaCl solution injection: effect of electrical conductivity on tissue heating and coagulation-phantom and porcine liver study. Radiology 2001; 219:157-65. http://radiology.rsna.org/content/219/1/157.full
- Ahmed M, Lobo SM, Weinstein J, Kruskal JB, Gazelle GS, Halpern EF, Afzal SK, Lenkinski RE, Goldberg SN. Improved coagulation with saline solution pretreatment during radiofrequency tumor ablation in a canine model. J Vasc Interv Radiol (2002 Jul) 13(7):717-24. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12119331
- Goldberg SN, Girnan GD, Lukyanov AN, Ahmed M, Monsky WL, Gazelle GS, Huertas JC, Stuart KE, Jacobs T, Torchilin VP, Halpern EF, Kruskal JB. Percutaneous tumor ablation: increased necrosis with combined radio- frequency ablation and intravenous liposomal doxorubicin in a rat breast tumor model. Radiology (2002 Mar) 222(3):797-804. http://radiology.rsna.org/content/222/3/797.long
- Monsky WL, Kruskal JB, Lukyanov AN, Girnun GD, Ahmed M, Gazelle GS, Huertas JC, Stuart KE, Torchilin VP, Goldberg SN. Radio-frequency ablation increases intratumoral liposomal doxorubicin accumulation in a rat breast tumor model. Radiology (2002 Sep) 224(3):823-9. http://radiology.rsna.org/content/224/3/823.long
- Goldberg SN, Ahmed M, Weinstein J, Hare B, Bloch S, Shieman RG. Low-power transverse ultrasonic treatment of portal vein thrombosis in an animal model. J Vasc Interv Radiol (2002 Sep) 13(9 Pt 1):915-21. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12354826
- Goldberg SN, Kamel IR, Kruskal JB, Reynolds K, Monsky WL, Stuart KE, Ahmed M, Raptopoulos V. Radiofrequency ablation of hepatic tumors: Increased tumor destruction with adjuvant liposomal doxorubicin therapy. AJR Am J Roentgenol (2002 Jul) 179(1):93-101. http://www.ajronline.org/cgi/content/full/179/1/93
- D'Ippolito G, Ahmed M, Girnun GD, Stuart KE, Kruskal JB, Halpern EF, Goldberg SN. Percutaneous tumor ablation: reduced tumor growth with combined radio-frequency ablation and liposomal doxorubicin in a rat breast tumor model. Radiology (2003 Jul) 228(1):112-8. http://radiology.rsna.org/content/228/1/112.long
- Ahmed M, Monsky WE, Girnun G, Lukyanov A, D'Ippolito G, Kruskal JB, Stuart KE, Torchilin VP, Goldberg SN. Radiofrequency thermal ablation sharply increases intratumoral liposomal doxorubicin accumulation and tumor coagulation. Cancer Res (2003 Oct 1) 63(19):6327-33. http://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/63/19/6327.long
- Ahmed M, Weinstein J, Liu Z, Afzal KS, Horkan C, Kruskal JB, Goldberg SN. Image-guided percutaneous chemical and radiofrequency tumor ablation in an animal model. J Vasc Interv Radiol (2003 Aug) 14(8):1045-52. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12902563
- Horkan C, Ahmed M, Liu Z, Gazelle GS, Solazzo SA, Kruskal JB, Goldberg SN. Radiofrequency ablation: Effect of pharmacologic modulation of hepatic and renal blood flow on coagulation diameter in a VX2 tumor model. J Vasc Interv Radiol (2004 Mar) 15(3):269-74. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15028812
- Lobo SM, Afzal KS, Ahmed M, Kruskal JB, Lenkinski RE, Goldberg SN. Radiofrequency ablation: Modeling the enhanced temperature response of adjuvant NaCl pretreatment. Radiology (2004 Jan) 230(1):175-82. http://radiology.rsna.org/content/230/1/175.long
- Ahmed M, Liu Z, Afzal KS, Weeks D, Lobo SM, Kruskal JB, Lenkinski RE, Goldberg SN. Radiofrequency ablation: Effect of surrounding tissue composition on coagulation necrosis in a canine tumor model. Radiology (2004 Mar) 230(3):761-7. http://radiology.rsna.org/content/230/3/761.long
- Ahmed M, Liu Z, Lukyanov AN, Signoretti S, Horkan C, Monsky WL, Torchilin VP, Goldberg SN. Combination radiofrequency ablation with intratumoral liposomal doxorubicin: effect on drug accumulation and coagulation in multiple tissues and tumor types in animals. Radiology (2005 May) 235(2):469-77. http://radiology.rsna.org/content/235/2/469.long
- Bezerra AS, D'Ippolito G, Faintuch S, Szejnfeld J, Ahmed M. Determination of splenomegaly by CT: Is there a place for a single measurement? AJR Am J Roentgenol (2005 May) 184(5):1510-3. http://www.ajronline.org/cgi/content/full/184/5/1510
- Solazzo SA, Liu Z, Lobo SM, Ahmed M, Hines-Peralta AU, Lenkinski RE, Goldberg SN. Radiofrequency ablation: Importance of background tissue electrical conductivity--an agar phantom and computer modeling study. Radiology (2005 Aug) 236(2):495-502. http://radiology.rsna.org/content/236/2/495.long
- Ahmed M, Lukyanov AN, Torchilin V, Tournier H, Schneider AN, Goldberg SN. Combined radiofrequency ablation and adjuvant liposomal chemotherapy: effect of chemotherapeutic agent, nanoparticle size, and circulation time. J Vasc Interv Radiol (2005 Oct) 16(10):1365-71. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16221908
- Liu Z, Ahmed M, Weinstein Y, Yi M, Mahajan RL, Goldberg SN. Characterization of the RF ablation-induced "oven effect": the importance of background tissue thermal conductivity on tissue heating. Int J Hyperthermia (2006 Jun) 22(4):327-42. http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs/10.1080/02656730600609122
- Solazzo SA, Ahmed M, Liu Z, Hines-Peralta AU, Goldberg SN. High-power generator for radiofrequency ablation: Larger electrodes and pulsing algorithms in bovine ex vivo and porcine in vivo settings. Radiology (2007 Mar) 242(3):743-50. http://radiology.rsna.org/content/242/3/743.long
- Liu Z, Ahmed M, Sabir A, Humphries S, Goldberg SN. Computer modeling of the effect of perfusion on heating patterns in radiofrequency tumor ablation. Int J Hyperthermia (2007 Feb) 23(1):49-58.
- Bezerra AS, D'Ippolito GD, Caldana RP, Leopoldino DD, Batista GR, Borges DR, Lopes Filho Gde J, Ahmed M. Differentiating cirrhosis and chronic hepatosplenic schistosomiasis using MRI. AJR Am J Roentgenol (2008 Mar) 190(3):W201-7. http://www.ajronline.org/cgi/content/full/190/3/W201
- Liu Z, Ahmed M, Gervais D, Humphries S, Goldberg SN. Computer modeling of factors that affect the minimum safety distance required for radiofrequency ablation near adjacent nontarget structures. J Vasc Interv Radiol (2008 Jul) 19(7):1079-86. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18589323
- Solazzo S, Mertyna P, Peddi H, Ahmed M, Goldberg SN. RF ablation with adjuvant therapy: Comparison of external beam radiation and liposomal doxorubicin on ablation efficacy in an animal tumor model. Int J Hyperthermia (2008 Nov) 24(7):560-7. http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs/10.1080/02656730802070768
- Ahmed M, Liu Z, Humphries S, Goldberg SN. Computer modeling of the combined effects of perfusion, electrical conductivity, and thermal conductivity on tissue heating patterns in radiofrequency tumor ablation. Int J Hyperthermia (2008 Nov) 24(7):577-88. http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs/10.1080/02656730802192661
- Solazzo SA, Ahmed M, Schor-Bardach R, Yang W, Girnun GD, Rahmanuddin S, Levchenko T, Signoretti S, Spitz DR, Torchilin V, Goldberg SN. Liposomal doxorubicin increases radiofrequency ablation-induced tumor destruction by increasing cellular oxidative and nitrative stress and accelerating apoptotic pathways. Radiology. 2010 Apr;255(1):62-74. http://radiology.rsna.org/content/255/1/62.long
- Yang W, Ahmed M, Elian M, Hady ES, Levchenko TS, Sawant RR, Signoretti S, Collins M, Torchilin VP, Goldberg SN. Do Liposomal Apoptotic Enhancers Increase Tumor Coagulation and End-Point Survival in Percutaneous Radiofrequency Ablation of Tumors in a Rat Tumor Model? Radiology. 2010 Sep 21. [Epub ahead of print]. http://radiology.rsna.org/content/early/2010/09/15/radiol.10100500.long
- Yang W*, Ahmed M, Tasawwar B, Levchenko T, Sawant RR, Collins M, Signoretti S, Torchilin V, Goldberg SN. Radiofrequency ablation combined with liposomal quercetin to increase tumour destruction by modulation of heat shock protein production in a small animal model.
Int J Hyperthermia. 2011;27(6):527-38. doi:10.3109/02656736.2011.582474. PMID: 21846189; PMCID: PMC3417059.
- Yang W*, Ahmed M, Tasawwar B, Levchenko T, Sawant RR, Torchilin V, Goldberg SN. Combination radiofrequency (RF) ablation and IV liposomal heat shock protein suppression: reduced tumor growth and increased animal endpoint survival in a small animal tumor model.
J Control Release. 2012 Jun 10;160(2):239-44. doi: 10.1016/j.jconrel.2011.12.031.
PMID: 22230341; PMCID: PMC3412588.
- Sheiman RG, Mullan C, Ahmed M. In vivo determination of a modified heat capacity of small hepatocellular carcinomas prior to radiofrequency ablation: correlation with adjacent vasculature and tumour recurrence. Int J Hyperthermia. 2012;28(2):122-31.
doi: 10.3109/02656736.2011.642457. PMID: 22335226.
- Narayan A, Eng J, Carmi L, McGrane S, Ahmed M, Sharrett AR, Streiff M, Coresh J, Powe N, Hong K. Iliac vein compression as risk factor for left- versus right-sided deep venous thrombosis: case-control study. Radiology. 2012 Dec;265(3):949-57.
doi: 10.1148/radiol.12111580. PMID: 23175547; PMCID: PMC3504322.
- Solbiati L, Ahmed M, Cova L, Ierace T, Brioschi M, Goldberg SN. Small liver colorectal metastases treated with percutaneous radiofrequency ablation: local response rate and long-term survival with up to 10-year follow-up. Radiology. 2012 Dec;265(3):958-68.
- Faroja M, Ahmed M, Appelbaum L, Ben-David E, Moussa M, Sosna J, Nissenbaum I,
Goldberg SN. Irreversible electroporation ablation: is all the damage nonthermal?
Radiology. 2013 Feb;266(2):462-70. doi: 10.1148/radiol.12120609.
- Rosenkrantz AB, Sekhar A, Genega EM, Melamed J, Babb JS, Patel AD, Lo A, Najarian RM, Ahmed M, Pedrosa I. Prognostic implications of the magnetic resonance imaging appearance in papillary renal cell carcinoma. Eur Radiol. 2013 Feb;23(2):579-87.
- Ben-David E, Ahmed M, Faroja M, Moussa M, Wandel A, Sosna J, Appelbaum L, Nissenbaum I, Goldberg SN. Irreversible electroporation: treatment effect is susceptible to local environment and tissue properties. Radiology. 2013 Dec;269(3):738-47. doi: 10.1148/radiol.13122590.
- Moussa M*, Goldberg SN, Tasawwar B, Sawant RR, Levchenko T, Kumar G, Torchilin VP, Ahmed M. Adjuvant liposomal doxorubicin markedly affects radiofrequency ablation-induced effects on periablational microvasculature. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2013 Jul;24(7):1021-33.
**2013 JVIR Editor’s Award for Outstanding Laboratory Investigation
- Tam AL, Abdelsalam ME, Gagea M, Ensor JE, Moussa M, Ahmed M, Goldberg SN, Dixon K, McWatters A, Miller JJ, Srimathveeravalli G, Solomon SB, Avritscher R, Wallace MJ, Gupta S. Irreversible Electroporation of the Lumbar Vertebrae in a Porcine Model: Is There Clinical-Pathologic Evidence of Neural Toxicity? Radiology. 2014 Apr 25:132560.
- Moussa M*, Goldberg SN, Kumar G, Sawant RR, Levchenko T, Torchilin V, Ahmed M. Radiofrequency (RF) ablation-induced upregulation of hypoxia-inducible factor (HIF)-1α: Suppression with adjuvant bortezomib or liposomal chemotherapy. JVIR. 2014 Dec; 25(12): 1972-82. doi: 10.1016/j.jvir.2014.08.025.
**2014 JVIR Editor’s Award for Outstanding Laboratory Investigation
- Moussa M*, Goldberg SN, Kumar G, Sawant RR, Levchenko T, Torchilin V, Ahmed M. Radiofrequency ablation combination therapies: Does smaller adjuvant nanoparticle size translate to a better outcome when combined with RF ablation? PLOS One. 2014 Aug 18; 9(8):e102727. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0102727.
- Ahmed M, Kumar G, Moussa M, Wang Y, Rozenblum N, Galun E, Goldberg SN.
Hepatic radiofrequency ablation-induced stimulation of distant tumor growth is suppressed by c-Met inhibition. Radiology 2015.
- Ahmed M, Kumar G, Navarro G, Wang Y, Gourevitch S, Moussa M, Rozenblum N, Levchenko T, Galun E, Torchilin V, Goldberg SN. Systemic siRNA nanoparticle-based therapy in combination with hepatic thermal ablation for cancer therapy. PLoSONE 2015
Standards and Society Position Papers
Ahmed M, Solbiati L, Brace CL, Breen DJ, Callstrom MR, Charboneau JW, Chen MH, Choi BI, de Baère T, Dodd GD 3rd, Dupuy DE, Gervais DA, Gianfelice D, Gillams AR, Lee FT Jr, Leen E, Lencioni R, Littrup PJ, Livraghi T, Lu DS, McGahan JP, Meloni MF, Nikolic B, Pereira PL, Liang P, Rhim H, Rose SC, Salem R, Sofocleous CT, Solomon SB, Soulen MC, Tanaka M, Vogl TJ, Wood BJ, Goldberg SN; For the International Working Group on Image-guided Tumor Ablation, Interventional Oncology Sans Frontières Expert Panel, Technology Assessment Committee of the Society of Interventional Radiology, and the Standard of Practice Committee of the Cardiovascular and Interventional Radiological Society of Europe.
Image-guided Tumor Ablation: Standardization of Terminology and Reporting Criteria - A 10-Year Update. Radiology. 2014 Jun 13:132958.
Ahmed M for the Technology Assessment Committee of the Society of Interventional Radiology. Image-Guided Tumor Ablation: Standardization of Terminology and Reporting Criteria – A 10-Year Update: Supplement to the Consensus Document. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2014 Nov; 25(11): 1706-8, doi:10.1016/j.jvir.2014.09.005
Gillams A, Goldberg N, Ahmed M, Bale R, Breen D, Callstrom M, Chen MH, Choi BI, de Baere T, Dupuy D, Gangi A, Gervais D, Helmberger T, Jung EM, Lee F, Lencioni R, Liang P, Livraghi T, Lu D, Meloni F, Pereira P, Piscaglia F, Rhim H, Salem R, Sofocleous C, Solomon SB, Soulen M, Tanaka M, Vogl T, Wood B, Solbiati L. Thermal ablation of colorectal liver metastases: a position paper by an international panel of ablation experts, the interventional oncology sans frontières meeting 2013. Eur Radiol. 2015 May 22.
Book Chapters and Reviews
|Ikram M, Khan MA, Ahmed M, Siddiqui T, Mian MY. The histopathology of routine tonsillectomy specimens: Results of a study and a review of literature. Ear Nose Throat J (2000 Nov) 79(11):880-2 [Review]
|Ahmed M, Goldberg SN. Thermal ablation therapy for hepatocellular carcinoma. J Vasc Interv Radiol (2002 Sep) 13(9 Pt 2):S231-44 [Review]
|Goldberg SN, Ahmed M. Minimally invasive image-guided therapies for hepatocellular carcinoma. J Clin Gastroenterol (2002 Nov-Dec) 35(5 Suppl 2):S115-29 [Review]
|Ahmed M, Goldberg SN. Radiofrequency ablation: Principles and techniques. In: Ellis, Curley, Tanabe, editors. Radiofrequency Ablation of Cancer. Springer-Verlag New York, Inc. 2003
|Ahmed M, Goldberg SN. Combination radiofrequency thermal ablation and adjuvant IV liposomal doxorubicin increases tissue coagulation and intratumoral drug accumulation. Int J Hyperthermia (2004 Nov) 20(7):781-802. [Review]
|Ahmed M, Goldberg SN. Image-guided tumor ablation: Basic sciences. In: Sonnenberg, McMullen, editors. Minimally invasive tumor therapies, Springer-Verlag New York, Inc. 2005
|Ahmed M, Brace C, Lee Jr FT, Goldberg SN. Radiology State-of-the-Art: Basic Principles of Percutaneous ablation. [Invited Review] Radiology 2009, in press
|Ahmed M, Goldberg SN. Liver Ablation. In: Hong, Georgiades, editors. Tumor Ablation Cookbook. Thieme 2010, in press
|Ahmed M, Goldberg SN. Basic Science Research in Thermal Ablation. [Invited Review] Surgical Oncology Clinics of North America 2010, in press
|Ahmed M, Goldberg SN. Basic Principles of Radiofrequency Ablation. In: Mueller, Adam, editors. Interventional Oncology: A Practical Guide for the Interventional Radiologist. Springer 2010, in press