Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases
Comprehensive Stroke Center
The Comprehensive Stroke Center at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (BIDMC) is a leader in stroke treatment and research. We treat all types of stroke, offering a full range of medical, surgical and image-guided, less invasive capabilities, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We are one of the premier centers for cerebrovascular diseases worldwide.
- Our Stroke Center is licensed by the MA Department of Public Health and participates in the Get With The Guidelines AHA/ASA national quality program for improving care by promoting consistent adherence to the latest scientific treatment guidelines. We follow the highest standards in stroke care and treatment.
- We offer immediate access to a team of neurologists and stroke specialists who are renowned for unique research in areas such as acute stroke treatment and imaging, brain recovery, and intracerebral hemorrhage (bleeding inside the brain).
- Our acute stroke team includes neurologists with special expertise in stroke, emergency physicians, critical care physicians, neurosurgeons, vascular surgeons, radiologists, neurointerventionalists, cardiologists, nurses and other rehabilitation and stroke-related specialists.
- We use advanced state-of-the-art imaging methods, including specialized magnetic resonance imaging techniques developed at BIDMC, to help guide treatment decisions.
- Our leading-edge stroke treatment features highly specialized, minimally invasive procedures: tiny devices introduced through veins and catheters to trap, retrieve and/or suction blood clots in the brain; administer medication; or deflate blood-filled pouches (aneurysms).
- Our NeuroIntensive Care Unit offers the most modern technology in patient monitoring and management, including bedside brain imaging with mobile CT scanners and 24-hour monitoring of brain activity with video EEG (electroencephalogram to assess the brain’s electrical activity).
- Through our TeleNet:Stroke service, participating community hospitals have around-the-clock access to direct and immediate video consultation with BIDMC stroke neurology experts.
- Our physician faculty lead national and international clinical trials, or research studies, that are designed to find better treatments for stroke based on the most updated information from around the world.
Above all, we tailor care and treatment to each patient we are privileged to serve, providing support, education and understanding. We strive to make each patient’s experience positive. We are widely regarded for our warmth and compassion, and for caring for patients like they are family.