Crohn's disease is a chronic disorder of unknown origin characterized by inflammation of the gastrointestinal (GI) tract that can lead to a variety of symptoms including abdominal pain, diarrhea, intestinal bleeding and weight loss. This section will help you better understand your disease and those medications used to treat it.
- Lichtenstein GR, Abreu MT, Cohen R, Tremaine W. American Gastroenterological Association Institute technical review on corticosteroids, immunomodulators, and infliximab in inflammatory bowel disease. Gastroenterology 2006;130(3):940-987.
- Langmead L, Rampton DS. Review article: complementary and alternative therapies for inflammatory bowel disease. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2006 Feb 1;23(3):341-9.
- Caprilli R, Gassull MA, Escher JC, et al. European evidence based consensus on the diagnosis and management of Crohn's disease: special situations. Gut 2006;55, Suppl 1:i36-58.
- Travis SP, Stange EF, Lemann M, et al. European evidence based consensus on the diagnosis and management of Crohn's disease: current management. Gut 2006;55, Suppl 1:i16-35.
- Stange EF, Travis SP, Vermeire S, et al. European evidence based consensus on the diagnosis and management of Crohn's disease: definitions and diagnosis. Gut 2006;55, Suppl 1:i1-15.
- Lichtenstein GR, Sands BE, Pazianas M. Prevention and treatment of osteoporosis in inflammatory bowel disease. Inflamm Bowel Dis 2006;12(8):797-813.
- Lermeire S, Rutgeerts P. Current status of genetics research in inflammatory bowel disease. Genes Immun. 2005 Dec;6(8):637-45.
- Carter, MJ, Lobo AJ, Travis SP. Guidelines for the management of inflammatory bowel disease in adults. Gut 2004; 53 Suppl 5:v1-16.
- Sands BE, Cuffari C, Katz J, et al. Guidelines for immunizations in patients with inflammatory bowel disease. Inflamm Bowel Dis;10(5):677-92.
- Egan LJ, Sandborn WJ. Advances in the treatment of Crohn's disease. Gastroenterology. 2004;126(6):1574-81.
- Hommes DW, van Deventer SJ. Endoscopy in inflammatory bowel diseases. Gastroenterology. 2004;126(6):1561-73.
- Sartor RB. Therapeutic manipulation of the enteric microflora in inflammatory bowel diseases: antibiotics, probiotics, and prebiotics. Gastroenterology. 2004;126(6):1620-33.
- Sandborn WJ, Fazio VW, Feagan BG, Hanauer SB; American Gastroenterological Association Clinical Practice Committee. AGA technical review on perianal Crohn's disease. Gastroenterology. 2003;125(5):1508-30.
- Pearson DC, May GR, Fick GH et al. Azathioprine and 6-mercaptopurine in Crohn's disease. A meta-analysis. Ann Intern Med. 1995;123:132-142.