About the Celiac Center
The Celiac Center at BIDMC is dedicated to helping you live healthy and well, and to supporting caregivers around the world. Areas of excellence include:
- Multidisciplinary teamwork for expert evaluation and superb care of patients with celiac disease and other gluten-related disorders.
- Skilled diagnostics, especially when it comes to ruling out conditions with symptoms similar to celiac disease.
- Top-notch treatment to manage all aspects of celiac disease, including nutritional needs and difficult-to-treat cases (refractory sprue)
Our clinicians are experts in evaluating and treating celiac disease patients who have not responded well to a gluten-free diet. We also evaluate and treat those with suspected complications from celiac disease, using endoscopy, enteroscopy and capsule endoscopy.
Leaders in Research and Education
In addition to state-of-the-art patient care, the Celiac Center:
- Offers advanced medical education to train tomorrow's celiac disease fellowship in the U.S.
- Serves on the Medical/Nutrition Advisory Board for the National Celiac Association
- Conducts leading-edge research that into all aspects of celiac disease, including non-dietary and vaccine treatments. As a lead enrolling site for every therapeutic clinical trial in the country, our patients are often able to participate in studies of new therapies long before these become available to the general public.
- Provides educational resources to the community
- CeliacNow.org: Our nutrition website offers in-depth information on how to improve your health and well-being if you're living with celiac disease or a gluten-related disorder.
- Real Life with Celiac Disease: Troubleshooting and Thriving Gluten Free, a book written by Celiac Center clinicians Melinda Dennis, MS, RD, LDN, and Daniel Leffler, MD, MS, is available on Amazon.