About the Digestive Disease Center
The Digestive Disease Center (DDC) at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (BIDMC) offers comprehensive and innovative endoscopic, surgical and medical treatment for digestive disorders. Patients benefit from unique collaboration among renowned gastroenterologists, surgeons, radiologists, oncologists, pathologists, nurses and other GI specialists.
BIDMC is at the forefront of digestive disease care in New England with its attention to patient safety and quality as well as innovative, multidisciplinary care.
Team expertise is evident in the high volume care centers throughout the DDC:
- BIDMC gastroenterologists perform more than 25,000 GI procedures annually, placing the DDC program among the top five in the nation.
- Tertiary specialists treat complicated conditions of the gastrointestinal tract with biological therapies and other medical breakthroughs.
- Surgeons offer world-class expertise in rectal-sparing surgery, pouch operations, complex operations for Crohn's fistulas, stricturoplasties, laparoscopic colectomies and bowel resections.
Accessible, Compassionate Care
Prompt access combined with novel, specialized care distinguishes the Digestive Disease Center's service. Providers see emergent patients on a same-day basis. Additionally, our center features some of the shortest wait times in New England for screening colonoscopies, which are scheduled and completed within two weeks.
Patients often see all pertinent specialists in one visit for easy access and coordinated planning. The Digestive Disease Center facilitates:
- Confirmation of diagnosis and/or staging
- Same-day or expedited plan of care and treatment recommendations
- Accelerated patient and physician decision-making
- Quick access to the medical center's tertiary resources
- Comprehensive care and/or second opinions
- Long-term patient management, as appropriate
- Entry into the most current clinical trials for advanced therapies