Genitourinary Cancer Program
Multidisciplinary Diagnosis & Treatment
Leading oncologists, urological surgeons, radiation oncologists, radiologists and pathologists provide state-of-the-art diagnosis and management for genitourinary cancers:
- Minimally invasive, nerve-sparing prostatectomy, allowing discharge home within 24 hours.
- Radioactive seed implant brachytherapy for prostate cancer.
- Watchful waiting strategies for prostate cancer.
- Minimally invasive surgical techniques, including partial or laparoscopic nephrectomy, for renal (kidney) cancer.
- Radiofrequency ablation for renal masses.
- Bladder-sparing operations and orthotopic diversion for bladder cancer.
BIDMC's Prostate Cancer Center offers a multidisciplinary clinic for diagnosis and treatment of early prostate cancer. Our mission is to effectively treat prostate cancer while optimizing quality of life among prostate cancer patients and their spouses or partners.
Our clinical prostate cancer expertise includes BIDMC surgeons and radiation oncologists who have performed more than 2,000 surgical prostatectomies or prostate seed implants, and medical oncologists who have pioneered watchful waiting, hormonal and chemotherapy for early and late-stage prostate cancers.
BIDMC is an NCI-designated site of research excellence in renal and prostate cancers through NCI SPORE grants in these diseases. Research expertise in the Prostate Cancer Center includes: evaluating quality of life and treatment satisfaction among prostate cancer patients and their spouses; determining the role of androgen receptor mutations in prostate cancer hormone independence; characterizing novel prostate cancer biomarkers through prospective cohorts; evaluating inhibitors of signal transduction pathways in hormone-independent prostate cancer; and refining chemotherapy and hormonal therapy for newly diagnosed high-risk prostate cancer.