About the Cancer Center
The Cancer Center at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center is proud of its most gifted physicians and medical researchers who have made cancer treatment their life's work. Together with the outstanding nurses and staff, these dedicated professionals form a team that is committed to breakthrough treatments delivered with kindness and respect.
The Cancer Center at BIDMC is integral to one of Harvard Medical School's major teaching and research institutions. At BIDMC, scientists and doctors have made many discoveries that have led to greater understanding of cancer mechanisms resulting in improved and innovative cancer care. And because we have always understood the physical and emotional toll of a cancer diagnosis, our specialists take the time to listen to your concerns, answer your questions and develop unique support systems. Together, we can help you make the best decisions about your care and deliver treatment with unparalleled compassion.
As a Harvard teaching hospital, we are renowned for our leading-edge cancer care and for our pioneering discoveries that have led to unique cancer treatment strategies. We have made great strides in curing some cancers and managing many others. We know that success is measured one patient at a time. That genuine warmth and compassion can make a huge difference in a patient's outcome. We respect the dignity, values, needs and opinions of each person we are privileged to treat.
Our philosophy is that as a patient at the Cancer Center you are best served with a team of specialists who as experts in treating your kind of cancer (surgeons, radiation therapists and medical oncologists) develop care plans that fit your individual medical situation (personalized care). Technical excellence is our standard and we are proud of the many doctors on our staff who are second to none. It is important that as a patient you are engaged from the beginning with every facet of your care, that you receive thorough explanations of treatment options and appropriate guidance to help you reach optimal decisions about your treatment plan.
At the Cancer Center at BIDMC, we help our patients and their families understand and weigh treatment options, and help sort through the medical and very personal decision-making process they face.
Acclaimed Physicians and Scientists
Ours is a team effort. We assemble leading experts — physician scholars and researchers — to help tailor, in one sitting, the best possible treatment plan for you. In our multidisciplinary clinics, our patients see all key specialists in one visit for easy access and coordinated planning. Our numerous patient support services can help sustain you and your family during and after treatment.
World-Class Academic Center
Easy and convenient access to the very best care and clinical trials is so crucial for patients and their families undergoing treatment to ensure peace of mind. As a Harvard teaching and tertiary medical center, our patients can be confident that they are receiving therapies that are today's gold standard of care — or innovative treatments that will soon become tomorrow's rule of practice.
BIDMC's cancer program is the only program in Massachusetts, and one of only 34 in the country, to receive the Outstanding Achievement Award from the Commission on Cancer of the American College of Surgeons. The commission is a consortium of professional organizations that includes the American Cancer Society, the Society of Surgical Oncology, the American Society of Clinical Oncology, the American College of Radiology, the Oncology Nursing Society the American College of Surgeons. The commission's goal is to reduce cancer death and disease by promoting education, setting standards, and monitoring the quality of care that is delivered.
BIDMC continues to earn high marks in patient satisfaction surveys for our clinical excellence in cancer care and related services.
Still other distinguishing strengths of BIDMC and our Cancer Center include:
- Becker's Hospital Review has named BIDMC for 2012 as one of 70 Hospitals with Great Oncology Programs recognizing the hospital for providing cutting edge cancer treatment, prevention and research and demonstrated continual innovation in treatments and services, patient-centered care, and the achievement of clinical milestones and groundbreaking discoveries.
- BIDMC was recognized again in 2012 by US News & World Report as one of the nation's top hospitals in cancer care.
- A large number of cancer specialists are once again recognized as Best in Boston for 2011.
- The first center in New England — and one of only a select number of hospitals in the country — to offer CyberKnife, a dynamic new radiation therapy system that is a noninvasive, radio-surgical alternative to open surgery for cancerous and other tumors. BIDMC's Keith C. Field CyberKnife Center uses precise image-guidance and a multi-jointed robotic arm to deliver concentrated beams of radiation from multiple directions.
- Advanced imaging systems — including Boston's first PET/CT scanner — for early cancer detection, less invasive breast imaging, advanced gastrointestinal diagnostic techniques, virtual colonoscopy and more.
- Novel breast reconstruction techniques that spare muscle, and research into personalized vaccines that harness the patient's own immune system to target and destroy tumor cells.
- Genetic counseling and testing of high-risk patients, primarily for breast, ovarian and colon cancers, in order to help care for those who have cancer and advise unaffected family members on how best to stay well.
- Leadership in the Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group and the Radiation Therapy Oncology Group, which enhances the many strengths of our cancer programs.
- Our caring approach with numerous heart and soul programs and services including geriatric care, prevention, social work, palliative services, and our community health centers, all of which are essential to the lifelong well-being of patients, families and the community.
- Two of our clinician scholars/researchers each received a $1,000,000 from the Prostate Cancer Foundation to continue their cutting edge treatment research.
View a more complete list of BIDMC's recent awards and honors.