Stats and Facts
A teaching hospital of Harvard Medical School, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center is renowned for excellence in patient care, biomedical research, teaching and community service. Located in the heart of Boston's Longwood Medical and Academic Area, it hosts more than three quarters of a million patient visits annually in and around Boston.
- 672 licensed beds, including 463 medical/surgical beds, 77 critical care beds and 60 OB/GYN beds
- approximately 5,000 births a year
- a full range of emergency services, including a Level 1 Trauma Center and roof-top heliport; and
- the Beth Israel Deaconess Learning Center, offering patients and families up-to-date health information and access to current research on a wide range of medical conditions.
2014 - 49,865
2014 - 557,812
Emergency Department Visits
2014 - 55,244
2014 - 303,011
- BIDMC consistently ranks among the top three recipients of biomedical research funding from the National Institutes of Health. Research funding totals over $229.8 million annually. BIDMC researchers run more than 850 active sponsored projects and 500 funded and non-funded clinical trials.
- The Harvard-Thorndike Laboratory, the nation's oldest clinical research laboratory, has been located on this site since 1973.
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center shares important clinical and research programs with institutions such as the Dana- Farber/Harvard Cancer Center, the Joslin Diabetes Center and Children's Hospital.
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center has 1,250 physicians on the active medical staff (including over 800 full-time staff physicians). Most of these physicians hold faculty appointments at Harvard Medical School.
- In addition to its medical students, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center provides clinical education to students in nursing; social work; radiologic technology, ultrasound and nuclear medicine; and physical, occupational, speech and respiratory therapies.
- The Carl J. Shapiro Institute for Education and Research provides medical students and physicians in training with an on-site centralized educational facility, a state-of-the-art computer lab, and a variety of educational resources that let students diagnose, manage, and learn technical skills on simulated patients.
A Network of Care
BIDMC's expertise reaches well beyond downtown Boston. We have integrated a wide range of services with our partners, sharing physicians and technology to benefit the community.
In the pursuit of clinical and research excellence, BIDMC has formed partnerships with other outstanding institutions to benefit our patients in the areas where they live and work. Some of these partners include: Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital-Milton, Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital-Needham, Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital-Plymouth, Anna Jaques Hospital, Cambridge Health Alliance, Lawrence General Hospital, Signature Healthcare, Beth Israel Deaconess HealthCare, Community Care Alliance, Atrius Health and Hebrew Rehabilitation Center.
View a complete list of our affiliates and partnerships »
A Caring Employer
More than 6,000 diverse employees, including approximately 819 full-time staff physicians; 1,179 full-time registered nurses; and 3,600 non-clinical employees